Phillipians 3:14

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Beauty for Ashes...



 So....this page sarted out VERY colorful too much so in fact so I put modeling paste and stencils in white all around the page to tone it down.  It still was just way too busy so I painted over the whole thing with white gesso.  This is where I ended up and I love it!  Had this been my initial direction, I may have gotten it a little tighter, but that is the beauty of this.  the layers, mistakes and corrections all lend to the finished product.  That is very much how I view my life in Christ.  I ended up adding a "secret" message to my love and sealed it with wax--fun!  As  result I turned this whole journal into something for him.  I won't show most of the pages as they are personal and I know that he will enjoy them.  I had to "man up" the cover since I am sending it to him too!


I need to add a little more detail, but not too much.  Instead of the butterflies and flowers, this is a nod to the catepillar...

At any rate, as I was developing this idea, Isaiah 61 came to mind and I think it is very fitting .  For those who would want to ponder this a bit more, Charles Spurgeon speaks beautifully to this passage here.

 

3 comments:

  1. Beauty for ashes, oil of joy for mourning. . .thanks for sharing this beautiful work of art and the exhortation and encouragement from a gifted man of God. . what a blessing that the Lord has preserved his writings that we might benefit! Great work on the journal and I know Chip will treasure it, though he might have to read it under his blankets with a flashlight, even with the benign manly caterpillar cover! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan is funny!!! I can see Chip sneaking out the journal after the lights go out!!
    Your journal looks fabulous, Marsha! I'm starting to play with canvas and stazon! Not nearly as creative as you are nor are mine as textured, layered etc., etc. Not that I'm comparing ;-) but it is very thought provoking and I'm trying not too take myself too seriously and just let the art flow (does that make sense perhaps I should replace the word "art" with "mess" and that would probably describe my process! A flowing mess!
    May you continue to enjoy the process of your beautiful art, thanks for sharing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I really enjoy about your art, Marsha, is that you share some about how you made it. This really helps me as I'm learning in my art work. If you didn't share, I would look at your beautiful art and assume that you planned it exactly like that and never guess that you made changes along the way.

    This is a gorgeous journal page. The texture and colors are awesome and I love the idea of adding a secret message for your hubby. Your journal will be such a precious gift for your hubby. Something he can enjoy over and over again.

    Blessings,
    Shelly xx

    ReplyDelete